Monday, February 4, 2008

The Inevitably Inevitable

We knew the day would come. We just knew it. With a child as curious and adventurous as Evelyn, it was inevitable. Well folks, the day came. It has already been over a week. Here is Evelyn the night before (notice the long hair). The next day she wanted to do a "project" with scissors. I let her. She had the children's scissors in our room. I was in our room too, arranging and organizing. I left to move a box to the garage. I came back a few short moments later and I learned a great lesson:
If you don't want your 3 year old to do this...
NEVER leave the room while they have scissors in their hands! Especially when they had a haircut only a day before and had the idea fresh in their minds that scissors can cut hair.
When I came in I realized what had transpired. I remembered that we knew this moment would happen and amazingly enough, I was not mad (I think it helped knowing that my sister-in-law is an amazing hairdresser). I asked, "Evelyn, what are you doing?" She responded with big puppy eyes, knowing she had done something that she shouldn't have, "I was just practicing getting the bugs out." I'm not exactly sure what she meant but it made perfect sense to her.
Here is the miracle that Nicole (My miracle-worker sister-in-law hairdresser) performed.
It actually works much better for Evelyn, so it was a blessing in disguise. Sometimes she asks me to do her hair "long" but then I remind her that she cut it all off. She gets a little mad about that, but for the most part she loves that it doesn't take hardly any time to do her hair and it doesn't really even get tangled!
I really feel like it was a rite of passage in being a parent as well as a little girl. We made it and thanks to Nicole, it wasn't so bad.

8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh! I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her new harcut! SOOO cute! :) Even if she did start it herself....and honestly, would you EVER get mad??? I highly doubt it!

I'm Amy. Or Melynne. Whatever. said...

I like the new haircut! I remember doing that when I was about her age and I had to get a butch cut because I cut it so short. I think my mom did get mad! I'm glad you guys are all settled back in Rexburg!

Nicole said...

It's only because Evelyn is sooooo darn cute that her hair turned out!! I honestly had nothing to do with it! Thank goodness for adorable children!!

Natalie said...

I love the new style! You are such a good mom. i think I would of gone bzerk!

Melinda said...

What a milestone! I am dreading such an occurance because I LOVE my Evie's hair. But Evelyn's haircut turned out really cute! Glad things are going well in Rexburg!

Kristen said...

Hello old friend!! How are you doing?!?! I found this on Kimberly's!! How are you?!?! Looks like things are going well for you!! Love ya!

mkstarr.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

that last pic of her is really darling.

Harrop Family said...

I absolutely LOVE this hair cute. You are right, it totally suits her. It makes her face stand out more. What a cutie!! Give her a kiss from me.