Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving in Seattle

Brace yourselves folks, this is a long one!
We rented a mini-van, borrowed our friends' dual screen DVD player and GPS, and headed to Seattle, WA to see my family. It's about 750 miles. With 2 2-hour stops, we made it in about 16 hours. The girls were fantastic. We were all sooooo glad to get to Seattle. A good and long-time friend of mine helped us get a phenomenal deal on a hotel. The first night we were there my mom came and watched the girls swim.
It was a packed trip with many very important things happening. As you'll see, we were there for a very special day:

My sister, Becky, gave birth to Nicholas Andrew on Tues morning. What a blessing that we got to be there for that!


One proud Grandma!


Evelyn could not get enough of baby Nicholas, she adored him! I think she'll really like having a baby brother.

The girls were so happy they got to hold him.

Hannah was thrilled. She kept laughing and saying "he tickle me!" He was touching her arm with his hand.


Another important event: We got to say goodbye to my sweet almost 95 year old Grandma, Alma Emmaline Jacobsen. She didn't pass away while we were there, but a month ago we sure didn't think we'd get to see her before she does move on.
We were so happy to get to see her and I know she was too. We visited her as much as we could.
Next, this is one of my greatest friends, Sunny. She has lived in Virgina and Sweden for the last many years. This is the first time I saw her in about 3 years. She was driving to her in-laws for thanksgiving and our hotel was on the way. What a treat! What beautiful children she has!


We had a nice visit and delicious dinner with the Vassaus. They were one of the two families that shared the Gospel with me. They have done so much for me. We had a delicious sandwich platter prepared for us by Chalonn. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of our visit with the Redds. London and Hannah were in the other room and I thought it sounded pretty quiet. I went to check on them and found that London was helping Hannah use the potty (Hannah doesn't use the potty). She had taken off her pants and diaper and Hannah was sitting with her feet, arms, and head sticking out of the bowl with her bum in the water and as happy as could be!
These are three girls that I have known since first grade, Jacqui, Laura, and Becky. What great girls!
My mom and sister threw me a little family baby shower. My dad and his wife, Karla, were able to come.
This is me and my sister 2 days before she had the baby.
The Cousins!

Hannah was sure the gifts were for her. She insisted on putting on some of the clothes.
Evelyn was a good helper.


Really, two people should not be getting that many gifts for one person. My mom and sister spoiled me and the babe.

This was thanksgiving day. We had a wonderful dinner of turkey, ham, rolls, beans, potatoes, glunk (family fav and tradition), stuffing, and MORE!My mom's boyfriend, David, did most of the cooking. Something compelled him to buy a 22-lb turkey for 4 adults and 2 kids! Needless to say, we came back to Rexburg with leftovers!

It was a full and wonderful trip. All of us are exhausted and so grateful for all that we were able to be there for and all the people we were able to see! Thank you everyone for a wonderful and memorable trip!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

That sounds fabulous! What a treat to see so much family and friends at such a perfect time! I'm curious...what's in 'glunk'?

Mindy said...

I hope you have a separate post on glunk. What a great time!

Jen said...

What a fun trip! I'm glad the girls were good--that is a looong road trip!

Anonymous said...

congrats on your little one on the way!! You look great! Family and frineds are the best way to spend the holidyas!! Hope you're feeling well. Miss ya!

Rachel Holloway said...

Well that just sounds AWESOME! Are you converted to the way of the mini van yet??? I don't know how we ever lived without one! :)

You and your sister are DEFINITELY related! HOW FUN that you were both pregnant at the same time. I am so glad you got to be together and see so many people. Sounds like a successful trip!

Reid and Laura said...

I loved it!! What a memorable weekend for you. Congrats to Becky for me. That is fabulous. Vassaus look great. Wish I could have been in one of those seats in that mini van and participated in all the fun.

Jen and Bryan said...

looks like you had a blast. I'm so excited for your sister. If she's anything like you, I'm sure she'll be a great mom. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!! YAH!

K. Bitton said...

What a fun time! It looks like you have a wonderful family!! Let me know if you need anything for that baby! I would love to help out, I know how stressful it is getting all new stuff again. Anyway, you look great! I bet you can't wait to see that baby! We are excited for you guys!

Candace said...

It looks like it was fun for all. I am so glad you got to be there for your sister.

Natalie said...

I'm glad you got to be there for your sister when she had her baby.

suzanne said...

What a packed trip. You and your sister look a lot alike in her hospital picture, I had to make a double take because I thought it was you.