Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Dad

Meet my dad.



My dad and I are alot alike. He may or may not know, but much of who I am today is because of things he taught me and examples he has given throughout his life.



I remember my dad always helping people.


He used to drive the "Feed the Needy" van from our church. I remember going a few times with him to deliver the food and I learned about the good feeling that you get inside when you help people. It also made me feel gratitude for the things I had. I also had a huge feeling of thankfulness whenever we came home from the store with bags full of groceries, I still do.



My dad used to go early in the morning to the chapel in our church and pray. I learned that private and personal prayer is important.



My dad used to leave doughnuts and sodas for the garbage men on garbage morning (back in the day before a machine picked up the can). I learned it's important to say thank you, especially to those who take your garbage away.



Once a Chevy bronco flipped over close to our house. My dad immediately called 911 and ran to the car to make sure that everyone was okay. I learned it's important to be a helper, not an observer.



We had a stray dog or two show up at our house. Instead of shooing them away, my dad put a leash on one of the dogs and we walked around the block, hoping to find the owner. Sure enough, a lady drove by in tears because she was so happy to have found her dog.

Action, action, action. My dad is a man of action. I learned to do something when there is a need, not wait for someone else to do it.



My dad didn't get mad at me when I came home from school (I was in 8th grade) and I told him I had just slapped a boy named Kyle across the face because he said girls don't belong on the basketball court. My dad saw the hours and hours I practised and he had even invested a lot in my ball skills. He took me to many a Husky women's basketball game and had taught me that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I worked hard and practised. He taught me without saying so, that it probably wasn't the best choice to slap Kyle, but girls can definately play ball. My dad believed in me.



My dad always helped me learn about whatever I was interested in. I recieved a microscope, a chemistry set, a telescope, many an art kit, a bike, a piano, a garden plot in the back yard, a fishing pole and even a motorcycle. I wasn't spoiled, but I was shown how fun it can be to learn about this amazing earth we live in. I would say that's one of the reasons why I went to college is because I learned how great it is to learn.



My dad is a hard worker and he makes sure things are done right. He is a good neighbor and is one for random acts of kindness. His grandchildren adore him and think it's the greatest thing ever that he has a motor home and dogs! He even has ducks.



Thanks dad for all you have done and do for me and for us. I wouldn't have chosen any other dad! Happy Father's Day! We love you!



1 comment:

The Dunn's said...

That was so great, have to admit I got a little emotional.