Monday, January 19, 2009

Spanish Lady

It seems like right before we have a baby, Evelyn finds imaginary friends. She did before we had Hannah. There were lots of animals. I remember a bird named Burris, a monkey named Trash, a pig that lived on the playground, and a giraffe that lived right off the back deck who enjoyed eating lentils (our poor downstairs neighbors were constantly sweeping lentils off their deck).

Recently she has a friend that she endearingly calls "Spanish Lady." Her real name has been at times "Wizzy," "Lizzy," and is currently "Dizzy." But she prefers Spanish Lady. She is 4 years old, likes oranges, lives in Spain but gets to stay with us the whole time we are in Rexburg. Evelyn says they look alot alike.

Today Spanish Lady came bowling with us. She had a chair of her own that we had to be sure not to sit in. She had a fun time watching. After we finished bowling, we went to McDonald's for lunch. The girls had a fun time and it wasn't until we were on our way home that we heard a loud cry from the back seat: "OH NO! Spanish Lady is still at the bowling place!!! What are we going to do?!!!"

We assured Evelyn that her parents would be able to give her a ride back to our house. Sure enough, within minutes of arriving, there was a ring at the doorbell and Spanish Lady had found her way back! Phew!

When Ben was a child he had a pet Gopher. An imaginary one. His name was Sam. His primary teacher had to move from her chair once because she was sitting on Sam. Sam ultimately got eaten by birds. I hope Spanish Lady has a happier fate.

What a special family I have!

12 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

What a funny story! You DO have a special family...full of vivid imaginations!!

LOVE that!!!

K. Bitton said...

That is too funny! I can't wait to witness my own kid's imaginary friends. :)

Andrea :) said...

How adorable! I, too, have fond memories of an imaginary friend named "Andrew-ah".

Liz  said...

That story just made my morning! Evelyn is hilarious! I had to set the table for Gracee's imaginary friends a couple of times, I am not sure where they went though:)

Amy said...

Evelyn is AWESOME!!! On sunday Callie spent the whole sacrament meeting knocking on the wall next to us and letting Angelina Ballerina come in. Then she would preceed to have a conversation to Angelina! I love KIDS!!!!

Brittanie said...

That's hilarious!! I don't think Erin's old enough for that yet, but she HAS gotten rather attached to her bear lately...

We're getting so close!

Monica said...

Very imaginative . . . wonder where she gets it from?! And -- shame on me -- I did not know you were expecting a little boy. Shows ya how long it's been since I've visited your blog. Congratulations!

Lyd Stew said...

I love imaginary friends! Have you ever seen Charlie and Lola? Sorren Lorrenson is my favorite, and every time they introduce him Charlie announces that he is her imaginary friend and that no one can see him but Lola. Anyway- good luck with that. And also good luck with baby! You are getting close! I want to see some pictures! :)

Jen said...

Oh that is hilarious! :)

Daisy said...

Huh, I hadn't thought about this until your Spanish Lady story, but Marcela has a pair of kittens that randomly appear. They bath with us, swim in the toilet and I have to hold them a lot. Maybe this is part of her transitioning! Hope all is well with the pregnancy! We'll see who goes first.

Chalonn said...

This post makes me so happy. I love these kiddos and their "friends"!

bridget said...

That is a great story. Can I come bowling to? She can call me English lady, I'm fine with that :)